Additional Information:

Can the provisions of a divorce be changed after finalization?  I don’t think we considered all of the children’s expenses when we were getting divorced.  Now that the divorce is finalized and we’re settled into our new apartment in Providence, I don’t have enough money to do the things I want to do or that the kids want to do with the child support and alimony from my ex.  What is the process in RI to change the divorce agreement?   What should I do?


Generally, all provisions in a divorce agreement relative to the distribution of assets and debt are NOT modifiable, without an agreement by the parties. Child custody, support and visitation as well as some Alimony provisions are always modifiable by filing motions in the Family Court.

Providence Divorce Modifications lawyer Attorney Heberg serves individuals and families in the Providence, RI region including Cranston, Coventry, Cumberland, East Greenwich, East Providence, Johnston, Lincoln, North Kingstown, North Providence, Pawtucket, Riverside, Smithfield, Warwick, West Warwick, Warren, Woonsocket, Bristol and Barrington, Rhode Island.

Posted by Christopher E. Heberg