I am separated from my husband and we are behind on our mortgage for the house in Warwick RI. We are currently 3 months behind on our mortgage payments and have been separated for 6 months. My husband is refusing to cash in $70K in stock to help pay the monthly mortgage. Can a judge order him to sell his stock?

Probably not. It would be unusual for a judge to order a tax qualified retirement plan to be liquidated to pay for marital debt. However, he can order your husband to be responsible for the debt and make him make payments toward the debt. He can also, force your husband to split his retirement plan with you so that you can then choose to do as you see fit with your share of the money.

Warwick divorce lawyer Attorney Heberg serves individuals and families in the Providence, RI region including Cranston, Coventry, Cumberland, East Greenwich, East Providence, Johnston, Lincoln, North Kingstown, North Providence, Pawtucket, Riverside, Smithfield, Warwick, West Warwick, Warren, Woonsocket, Bristol and Barrington, Rhode Island.