Additional Information:

I separated from my husband in 2008 & moved to Providence, RI from NY. How can I get divorce if we have no contact? We did not have any children from marriage but I do have a ten year old from a previous marriage. We parted on bad terms and I have no way of contacting this man as I do not know where he moved to after I left. How hard is it to get a divorce in the State of Rhode Island?


So long as you have been living in RI for at least one year continuously prior to the date you file, you may divorce here. It is very important to use best efforts to locate your husband. If we absolutely can not find him, then we may need to utilize the advertisement and publication of notice process. This can be costly and time consuming.

Providence divorce lawyer Attorney Heberg serves individuals and families in the Providence, RI region including Cranston, Coventry, Cumberland, East Greenwich, East Providence, Johnston, Lincoln, North Kingstown, North Providence, Pawtucket, Riverside, Smithfield, Warwick, West Warwick, Warren, Woonsocket, Bristol and Barrington, Rhode Island.