Additional Information:

One of my kids is graduating from Providence College next month.  The settlement agreement says kids are emancipated upon completion of a four year degree. Can I stop paying child support as soon as he graduates or must I file something with the Court?


Interesting question. I think you probably must file a motion to stop the payment of support. While support in RI normally terminates upon graduation form high school, it sounds like you contracted to pay for a longer period of time. As such, it may be necessary to have a court affirm that the obligation is over. Moreover, RI has recently passed legislation allowing for child support to essentially go on permanently and you want to make sure you get a definitive ruling terminating your obligation. 

Providence Family Law Attorney, Christopher Heberg serves individuals and families in Providence Rhode Island and throughout the state including the communities of Cranston, Johnston, West Warwick and Warwick, Rhode Island.

Posted by Christopher E. Heberg